Position Title: Associate, Communications
Reports to: Director, Communications
Location: Washington, DC
The Communications Associate leads Sabin’s digital engagement and develops compelling content to advance global health policy, vaccine science and advocacy. A keen interest and understanding of scientific and health issues is required, as is an ability to communicate to different audiences, including the public and global health professionals. Help us develop new, more sophisticated ways to promote our issues online and offline, run engagement campaigns and increase public understanding of the value of vaccines. A background that includes scientific and health communication is preferred.
- Write and edit blog posts, reports, stakeholder communications and content for different audiences, including the public, policy makers and the global health community
- Manage website content, including graphics and occasional video production
- Assist with conceptualizing and drafting creative online campaigns to highlight the impact and benefits of immunization
- Manage drafting, production and sending of emails and stakeholder notes, share and analyze email response metrics to inform best practices
- Work with consultants on website updates
- Coordinate with other organizations, partners, bloggers and others on communications and advocacy efforts to support global health and immunization
- Moderate and coordinate various online communities, including Facebook, Youtube, LinkedIn and Twitter
- Create and manage online advertising efforts including Facebook and Google Adwords and develop associated reports on efficacy
- Measure traffic, page views and response rates, and communicate metrics to staff
- Seek out information on emerging web technologies and demonstrate leadership on the application of these technologies to Sabin teams
- Other related duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as public health, journalism, English, communications, public relations
- 2+ years relevant experience, preferably managing website and online communities, including writing and/or editing for the web, ideally in a public interest/cause-related organization; will also consider agency or other relevant experience
- Keen interest and understanding of internet technology and communication; including experience with blogs, social networks and online engagement
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Exceptional writing with an ability to boil down complex issues into compelling messaging targeting a variety of audiences
- Experience in the use of web-based content management systems (Drupal, Wordpress, HTML) as well as graphics and video software (InDesign, Photoshop, Final Cut) preferred; experience with Engaging Networks a plus
- Familiarity with global health and development issues is a plus
- Ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, direct and lively style
- Ability to prioritize, work well under pressure and capably juggle multiple tasks within tight deadlines
- Superior service orientation
- Thrive in entrepreneurial, team-oriented work environments; experience working with cross-functional teams
- Ability to be flexible, creative, enthusiastic and optimistic
How to Apply:
To be considered, please submit your cover letter and resume via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 202-842-7689 or mail to HR Manager, Sabin Vaccine Institute, 2175 K Street, NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20037. Please be sure to reference “Associate” in the subject line. Your cover letter should: (1) address the reasons for your interest in this position; and, (2) describe the knowledge, skills, and abilities you would bring the Sabin Vaccine Institute. No phone calls, please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Title and salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Sabin Vaccine Institute has a generous benefits package.
Sabin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons shall have the opportunity to be considered for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or handicap, sex or gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.