Organization: Sabin Vaccine Institute
Position Title: Resource Development Officer
Reports to: Director, Resource Development
Sabin Vaccine Institute is one of the world’s leading non-profit organizations at the forefront of efforts to control, treat and eliminate vaccine preventable and neglected tropical diseases by developing new vaccines, advocating use of existing vaccines, and promoting increased access to affordable medical treatments. For more information on our programs, please visit www.sabin.org.
We’re looking for a dynamic fundraising specialist, with proven fundraising and relationship management experience, who can help drive Sabin’s cultivation of donor relationships for the organization’s three primary initiatives:
- Vaccine Development;
- Vaccine Advocacy & Education; and,
- Global Network for Neglected Tropical Diseases (www.globalnetwork.org).
This is an exempt position reporting to the Director of Resource Development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct detailed research and analysis to develop complex fundraising strategies and implement outreach to governments, major donors, foundations and corporations
- Lead on vaccine development grant applications to bilateral and multilateral organizations, the U.S. government, individuals and foundations
- Develop an expertise on Sabin’s vaccine development program to understand the research and development portfolio and how to strategically seek funding sources
- Lead efforts to raise funds for corporate and major donor sponsored events
- Draft fundraising and advocacy materials, including one-pagers, letters of inquiry, grant proposals, newsletters, and donor-targeted content for online and offline marketing
- Coordinate executive staff travel for fundraising meetings and provide general support, as needed, including meeting planning and outreach, material preparations and staffing at meeting
- Evaluate new program opportunities and prioritize donor cultivation
- Maintain accurate records of Sabin’s donor engagement activities in the Salesforce donor database and donor contact details in the Engaging Networks database
- Listen carefully to feedback and comments from donors and adapt plans/actions accordingly
- Coordinate with the Policy, Programs and Communications teams to advance internal priorities
- Work across the organization, building strong relationships with colleagues to stay informed of latest organizational and field developments
- Represent the Sabin Vaccine Institute and promote its mission at events and meetings
- Other related duties, as assigned
Experience and Educational Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required; Advanced degree preferred
- 3+ years of fundraising, partnership or business development, with prior experience in scientific research, product development, global health, public health, international development or other related field preferred
- Direct experience in relationship building with donors and partners with proven, measureable results
- Experience in communicating scientific research and technical information for lay audiences
- Superb verbal and written communications skills with a track record of tailoring messaging to attain results from target audiences
- Proven ability to manage workloads and multiple priorities efficiently and with minimal supervision
- Strong strategic and critical thinking skills
- Superior service orientation
- Ability to operate effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and deadline-driven environment
- Ability to build relationships and understand what motivates others
- Passionate team motivator, relentless champion of our cause and consummate problem solver
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office; Experience with donor management and communications applications, such as Sales Force, Raiser’s Edge, Constant Contact and/or Engaging Networks
- Experience using social media tools (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) to energize donor audiences
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally with notice
How to Apply:
To be considered, please submit your cover letter, resume and salary requirements via e-mail to email@example.com, fax to 202-842-7689 or mail to HR Manager, Sabin Vaccine Institute, 2000 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Suite 7100, Washington, DC 20006. Please be sure to reference “Resource Development Officer” in the subject line. Your cover letter should: (1) address the reasons for your interest in this position; and, (2) describe the knowledge, skills and abilities you would bring the Sabin Vaccine Institute. No phone calls, please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Salary to commensurate with qualifications and experience. Sabin Vaccine Institute has a generous benefits package.
Sabin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons shall have the opportunity to be considered for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or handicap, sex or gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.