Location: Houston, TX
Program: Vaccine Development
Position Title: Senior Project Manager
Reports to: Deputy Director, Sabin Vaccine Institute Product Development Partnership
The Senior Project Manager will be responsible for a multidisciplinary project team to build human capacity for Saudi Arabian research and development (R&D) on vaccines to prevent tropical infection. This program is run in partnership with Baylor College of Medicine. The primary goals of this 5-year project are: (1) Assess and provide recommendations on current partner vaccine R&D capabilities in Saudi Arabia; (2) Establish a visiting research training program for post-doctoral fellows from Saudi Arabia at the Sabin PDP based in Houston, Texas; (3) Consult on establishment of partner Total Quality Management System in Saudi Arabia; (4) Consult on establishment of partner facility for process development of recombinant proteins and biologics in Saudi Arabia; and, (5) Carry out program advocacy (including communications and resource mobilization). The Senior Project Manager will lead project execution, ensure that project deliverables and activities are completed on time and within budget, and according to the development timelines. This is an exempt position reporting to the Deputy Director, Sabin Vaccine Institute Product Development Partnership.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage day-to-day project related activities
- Support visiting fellows from Saudi Arabia
- Lead partner reporting, including the preparation of technical reports and assessments on Saudi partner capabilities
- Oversee consulting services for facility assessment in Saudi Arabia
- Ensure communication and understanding of deadlines and near term objectives; act as the point-of-contact with partner organizations
- Seek innovation and creative problem solving in advancing project goals
- Define program deliverables within defined and agreed to program requirements
- Interface with team members and management to anticipate and manage changes
- Participate in and/or initiate discussions regarding project-related decisions and project direction at the executive level
- Other duties as assigned
Experience and Educational Requirements:
- Master’s degree in a related field such as biomedical sciences (biology, biochemistry, microbiology etc.), program management, business
- Minimum of seven years professional experience required
- Seasoned experience with project management tools, including budget development and project planning
- Past experience with research and development and vaccine development highly desirable
- International travel and event planning experience a plus
- Arabic fluency a plus
- Previous experience working/residing in Saudi Arabia a plus
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Exceptional communications skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to perform and manage detail‐oriented work with a high level of accuracy
- Must possess demonstrable experience in conflict resolution, diplomacy and consensus building
- Must be highly organized, approachable, demonstrate flexibility and composure, and the ability to respond to changes in a dynamic environment
- Ability to prioritize work to meet deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively with all levels of staff and range of personalities, culture and working styles
- Ability to travel to Saudi Arabia
- Strong interpersonal skills; excellent at working closely with others over geographical distance
The Sabin Vaccine Institute (Sabin) is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization of scientists, researchers and advocates dedicated to reducing needless human suffering from vaccine-preventable and neglected tropical diseases (NTDs). Since its founding in 1993 in honor of Dr. Albert B. Sabin, the developer of the oral polio vaccine, Sabin has been at the forefront of global efforts to eliminate, prevent and cure infectious and neglected tropical diseases. Sabin develops new vaccines, advocates for increased use of existing vaccines and promotes expanded access to affordable medical treatments in collaboration with governments, academic institutions, scientists, medical professionals and other non-profit organizations. For more information please visit www.sabin.org.
The Sabin Vaccine Institute’s Vaccine Development program focuses on developing safe, effective and low-cost vaccines that can prevent human suffering caused by infectious and neglected tropical diseases. In 2000, Sabin established the Sabin Vaccine Institute Product Development Partnership (Sabin PDP). The Sabin PDP is an innovative model that relies on private, academic and public institutions in low- and middle-income countries, Australia, the United States and Europe to collaborate for preclinical development, vaccine manufacturing and clinical testing.
The Sabin PDP vaccine portfolio targets neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) such as hookworm infection, schistosomiasis, Chagas disease, leishmaniasis and onchocerciasis, as well as emerging viral infections like severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), Middle East Respiratory Virus (MERS) and West Nile virus. The product development laboratories are based at The Sabin Vaccine Institute and Texas Children’s Hospital Center for Vaccine Development at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas.
How to Apply:
To be considered, please submit your cover letter, resume and salary requirements via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to HR Manager, Sabin Vaccine Institute, 1102 Bates Avenue, Suite 1470, Houston, Texas 77030. Please be sure to reference “Senior Project Manager” in the subject line. Your cover letter should: (1) address the reasons for your interest in this position; and, (2) describe the knowledge, skills and abilities you would bring to the Sabin Vaccine Institute and its Vaccine Development program. No phone calls, please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Sabin Vaccine Institute has a generous benefits package.
Sabin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons shall have the opportunity to be considered for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or handicap, sex or gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.