Gold Medal Selection
The Sabin Gold Medal Award, commemorating the legacy of the late Dr. Albert B. Sabin, is awarded based on the following criteria:
- The Nominee has materially improved access to vaccines, has had a major impact in vaccine research and development or has enabled innovation to expand immunization
- The Nominee has left an indelible imprint toward the improvement of public health
- The Nominee’s work exemplifies the Sabin Vaccine Institute’s mission to make vaccines more accessible, enable innovation and expand immunization across the globe
- The Nominee should be a scientist, researcher or public health leader
- The Nominee may be an individual or a small team
2018 Award Ceremony
The 2018 Albert B. Sabin Gold Medal Award Ceremony will be held April 24, 2018, in Washington, D.C.
How to Submit a Nomination
To nominate a colleague for the Albert B. Sabin Gold Medal Award, kindly provide a one-page written explanation of the nominee’s contributions and why you believe they are particularly qualified to receive this award (CVs are welcome). Please email your nomination(s) no later than Friday, November 3, 2017, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations are submitted in strict confidence and reviewed by a Selection Committee comprised of past Gold Medal Award recipients.
2017 - Jan Holmgren, M.D., Ph.D.
2016 - George R. Siber, M.D.
2015 - Roger I. Glass, M.D., Ph.D.
2014 - Mathuram Santosham, M.D., M.P.H
2013 - Anne A. Gershon, M.D.
2012 - F. Marc LaForce, M.D.
2011 - John T. Schiller, Ph.D.
2011 - Douglas R. Lowy, M.D.
2010 - John D. Clemens, M.D.
2009 - Rino Rappuoli, Ph.D.
2008 - Ruth S. Nussenzweig, M.D., Ph.D.
2006 - William H. Foege, M.D., M.P.H.
2003 - Samuel L. Katz, M.D.
2002 - Stanley A. Plotkin, M.D.
2001 - John B. Robbins, M.D.
1999 - Maj. Gen. Philip K. Russell, M.D. (USA Ret.)
1998 - Allen C. Steere, M.D.
1998 - Myron M. Levine, M.D., D.T.P.H.