Gold Medal Selection
The Gold Medal Award, commemorating the legacy of the late Dr. Albert B. Sabin, is awarded based on the following criteria:
- The Nominee has had a major impact in vaccine research and development or has materially improved access to vaccines for neglected and at-risk populations
- The Nominee has left an indelible imprint toward the improvement of public health
- The Nominee’s work exemplifies the Sabin Vaccine Institute’s mission to make vaccines more accessible, enable innovation and expand immunization across the globe
- The Nominee should be a scientist, medical researcher or public health advocate – not a philanthropist
- The Nominee may be an individual or a small team
Nominations are submitted in strict confidence and reviewed by a Selection Committee comprised of past Gold Medal Award recipients. The Committee is led by Dr. Philip K. Russell.
2017 - Jan Holmgren, M.D., Ph.D.
2016 - George R. Siber, M.D.
2015 - Roger I. Glass, M.D., Ph.D.
2014 - Mathuram Santosham, M.D., M.P.H
2013 - Anne A. Gershon, M.D.
2012 - F. Marc LaForce, M.D.
2011 - John T. Schiller, Ph.D.
2011 - Douglas R. Lowy, M.D.
2010 - John D. Clemens, M.D.
2009 - Rino Rappuoli, Ph.D.
2008 - Ruth S. Nussenzweig, M.D., Ph.D.
2006 - William H. Foege, M.D., M.P.H.
2003 - Samuel L. Katz, M.D.
2002 - Stanley A. Plotkin, M.D.
2001 - John B. Robbins, M.D.
1999 - Maj. Gen. Philip K. Russell, M.D. (USA Ret.)
1998 - Allen C. Steere, M.D.
1998 - Myron M. Levine, M.D., D.T.P.H.