Mali is pursuing financial sustainability for its immunization services through budget advocacy and expenditure tracking. The Sabin Sustainable Immunization Financing (SIF) Program began its efforts in Mali in December 2008.
Immunization Program Structure
Mali’s Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI) is located in the Immunization Section, Disease Control & Prevention Division, National Health Directorate, Ministry of Health (MOH).
Mali’s Progress to Date
Over the period 2006-2014, Mali’s Gross National Income rose from US$470 to 720 per capita, a 53 percent increase. According to the WHO/UNICEF Joint Reporting Form (JRF), the Malian government spent less than $1 on routine immunization per surviving infant in 2006. In 2013, this figure rose to $8, an eight-fold increase. In addition, the government share of total routine immunization expenditures rose from 7 percent to 17 percent over the period. Since 2010, Mali has reported inconsistently on JRF financial indicators. The data suggest that Mali has progressed towards country ownership of its immunization program. Among SIF countries, Mali ranked 6th in terms of routine immunization spending per surviving infant in 2016.
Chapter III, Article 17 of Mali’s Constitution (1992) recognizes the citizens’ right to health.
In August 2012, government and parliament finalized a draft immunization bill. Amendments were incorporated the following November. The draft bill was sent to the Health Minister in July 2014.
SIF provides a tool for analyzing how efficiently recent immunization budgets have been executed. In 2013, the EPI team utilized this tool to analyze the program’s 2010-2012 budget performance.
The National Assembly established the Parliamentary Network for Immunization in January 2013. In August 2015, sixty MPs belonged to the Network.
In July 2015, the EPI Manager analyzed budget execution, presented corrected expenditure figures to the Inter-Agency Coordinating Committee and used the information to secure a budget increase for FY2016.
In February 2016, a Malian MP attended and signed a Parliamentary Statement in Support of the Ministerial Conference on Immunization in Africa.
- September 2010, November 2012, December 2014, June 2016: Cameroonian counterparts join DRC, Congo, Malgache, Malian, and Senegalese peers in Sabin-sponsored peer review workshops
- March 2016: Senior Program Officer, EPI Manager, Ministry of Health Budget Office Director, and parliament co-organize Action Plan meeting
- September 2015: Senior Program Officer briefs EPI Manager
- June 2015: Malian EPI officials join Senegalese and Cameroonian peers in Sabin-sponsored resource tracking peer exchange
- August, December 2009, October 2011, January, February 2013, November 2014: Sabin Senior Program Officer organizes MP briefing
- December 2013: Sabin Senior Program Officer and WHO counterparts co-organize cMYP workshop
- May 2012: Sabin Senior Program Officers from Cameroon and DRC, WHO, UNICEF, and AMP co-organize cMYP workshop
- December 2009: Malian counterparts join Senegalese legislators in MP briefing
- December 2008: Sabin Senior Program Officer, SIF Program Director introduce SIF program to Malian government
Last Updated July 12, 2016