Uganda is pursuing financial sustainability for its immunization services through legislation and expenditure tracking. The Sabin Sustainable Immunization Financing (SIF) Program began its efforts in Uganda in September 2008.
Immunization Program Structure
The Ugandan National Expanded Program on Immunization (UNEPI) is located in the Directorate of Clinical and Community Services, Department of National Communicable Disease Control, Ministry of Health (MOH).
Uganda’s Progress to Date
Over the period 2006-2014, Uganda’s Gross National Income per capita doubled from US$340 to $680. According to the WHO/UNICEF Joint Reporting Form (JRF), the Ugandan government spent $3 on routine immunization per surviving infant in 2006. In 2014, government contributions rose to $11 per surviving infant, more than tripling. In addition, the government share of total routine immunization expenditures rose from 13% to 49% over the period. Since 2010, Uganda has reported inconsistently on JRF financial indicators. The data suggest that Uganda has not progressed towards country ownership of its immunization program. Among SIF countries, Uganda ranked eighth in terms of routine immunization spending per surviving infant in 2014.
Parliamentarians visited Mongolia to study the country’s public immunization fund in October 2014.
The Constitution of Uganda lacks a substantive provision on the right to health; the right is mentioned under the directive principles of government policy. Parliament has the mandate to make laws to operationalize that constitutional right.
A desk review of immunization-related by-laws was completed in 2010. Work on an immunization bill began in September 2011. In October 2014, a team of MPs and government officials visited Mongolia to study the country’s passed immunization law. In March 2015, the visiting delegation incorporated financial provisions into the draft bill.
The Parliamentary Network on Immunization was established in February 2012.
- October 2015: Ugandan counterparts join Kenyan, Nigerian, Sierra Leonean, and Liberian peers in Sabin-sponsored peer review workshop
- March 2015: Senior Program Officer organizes legislative workshop
- November 2014: Senior Program Officer organizes parliamentary briefing
- October 2014: Ugandan counterparts survey Mongolia’s immunization law and fund in Sabin-sponsored study tour
- September 2014: Senior Program Officer and Parliamentary Network co-organize parliamentary briefing
- March 2014: Senior Program Officer organizes national briefing
- August 2013: Ugandan counterparts attend Sabin-sponsored colloquium
- April 2013: Senior Program Officer and Ugandan Local Government Association (ULGA) co-organize national briefing
- June 2012: Ugandan counterparts join Kenyan, Liberian, Nepali, and Sierra Leonean delegates in Sabin-sponsored peer exchange workshop
- April 2012: Senior Program Officer, Ugandan Local Government Association (ULGA), USAID and MOH co-organize national briefing
- January 2012: Senior Program Officer and ULGA co-organize subnational briefing
- November 2011: Senior Program Officer organizes three subnational briefings
- March 2011: Ugandan counterparts attend Sabin-sponsored colloquium
- February 2010: Senior Program Officer organizes national briefing
- September 2009: Senior Program Officer organizes parliamentary briefing
- September/October 2008: Senior Program Officer introduces SIF program to Ugandan government