The Gold Medal Award, commemorating the legacy of the late Dr. Albert B. Sabin, is awarded based on the following criteria:
- The Nominee has had a major impact in vaccine research and development or has materially improved access to vaccines for neglected and at-risk populations.
- The Nominee has left an indelible imprint toward the improvement of public health.
- The Nominee’s work exemplifies the Sabin Vaccine Institute’s mission to reduce needless human suffering from vaccine-preventable and neglected tropical diseases.
- The Nominee should be a scientist, medical researcher or public health advocate – not a philanthropist.
- The Nominee may be an individual or a small team.
October 20, 2014 - Distribute Call for Nominations
November 21, 2014 - Call for Nominations Deadline
November 24, 2014 - Distribute Ranking Form to Selection Committee
December 19, 2014 - Ranking Form Deadline
December 29, 2014 - Review of Selection Committee Recommendation by Sabin Executive Leadership
January 6, 2015 - Final Determination of Gold Medal Recipient/s
February 17, 2015 - Distribute Invitations Announcing Recipient/s
April 14, 2015 - Albert B. Sabin Gold Medal Award Ceremony
Nominations are submitted in strict confidence and reviewed by a Selection Committee comprised of past Gold Medal Award recipients. The Committee is led by Dr. Philip K. Russell.
2014 - Mathuram Santosham, M.D.,M.P.H
2013 - Anne A. Gershon, M.D.
2012 - F. Marc LaForce, M.D.
2011 - John T. Schiller, Ph.D.
2011 - Douglas R. Lowy, M.D.
2010 - John D. Clemens, M.D.
2009 - Rino Rappuoli, Ph.D.
2008 - Ruth S. Nussenzweig, M.D., Ph.D.
2006 - William H. Foege, M.D., M.P.H.
2003 - Samuel L. Katz, M.D.
2002 - Stanley A. Plotkin, M.D.
2001 - John B. Robbins, M.D.
1999 - Maj. Gen. Philip K. Russell, M.D. (USA Ret.)
1998 - Allen C. Steere, M.D.
1998 - Myron M. Levine, M.D., D.T.P.H.
1994 - Donald A. Henderson, M.D., M.P.H.