The Gold Medal Award, commemorating the legacy of the late Dr. Albert B. Sabin, is awarded based on the following criteria:
• The Nominee has had a major impact in vaccine research and development or has materially improved the access of vaccines to neglected and at-risk populations.
• The Nominee has left an indelible imprint toward the improvement of public health.
• The Nominee’s work exemplifies the Sabin Vaccine Institute’s mission to reduce needless human suffering from vaccine preventable and neglected tropical diseases.
• The Nominee should be a scientist, medical researcher or public health advocate - not a philanthropist.
• The Nominee(s) may be either an individual or a small team.
October 16, 2013 - Distribute Call for Nominations
November 22, 2013 - Call for Nominations Deadline
November 25, 2013 - Distribute Ranking Form to Selection Committee
December 13, 2013 - Ranking Form Deadline
December 20, 2013 - Review of Selection Committee Recommendation by Sabin Executive Leadership
January 6, 2014 - Final Determination of Gold Medal Recipient/s
March 4, 2014 - Distribute Invitations Announcing Recipient/s
April 29, 2014 - Albert B. Sabin Gold Medal Award Ceremony
Nominations are submitted in strict confidence and reviewed by a Selection Committee comprised of past Gold Medal Award recipients. The Committee is led by Dr. Philip K. Russell.
2014 - Mathuram Santosham, M.D.,M.P.H
2013 - Anne A. Gershon, M.D.
2012 - F. Marc LaForce, M.D.
2011 - John T. Schiller, Ph.D.
2011 - Douglas R. Lowy, M.D.
2010 - John D. Clemens, M.D.
2009 - Rino Rappuoli, Ph.D.
2008 - Ruth S. Nussenzweig, M.D., Ph.D.
2006 - William H. Foege, M.D., M.P.H.
2003 - Samuel L. Katz, M.D.
2002 - Stanley A. Plotkin, M.D.
2001 - John B. Robbins, M.D.
1999 - Maj. Gen. Philip K. Russell, M.D. (USA Ret.)
1998 - Allen C. Steere, M.D.
1998 - Myron M. Levine, M.D., D.T.P.H.
1994 - Donald A. Henderson, M.D., M.P.H.