The Albert B. Sabin Gold Medal
Honoring extraordinary public health leaders who save lives through the development and use of vaccines.
The Albert B. Sabin Gold Medal is the highest scientific honor given by the Sabin Vaccine Institute. Awarded annually since 1994, the Gold Medal is given to a distinguished individual who has made extraordinary contributions in the field of vaccinology or a complementary field.
In 2020, Sabin created the Rising Star Award to highlight early-career professionals.
The Sabin Gold Medal is awarded based on the following criteria:
- Exemplifies Sabin’s mission to make vaccines more accessible, enable innovation and expand immunization across the globe
- Improved access to vaccines, has had a major impact in vaccine research and development or has enabled innovation to expand immunization
- Left an indelible imprint toward the improvement of public health
- Demonstrates leadership and a commitment to improving the health of all people, everywhere
- Is a scientist, researcher or public health leader
- May be an individual or a small team
We seek nominations that reflect the diversity of global health work, unrestricted by gender, race or ethnicity, location or field of work.
Nominations for the 2023 Gold Medal are now closed.