Reports to: Manager, Evaluation & Stakeholder Engagement (Vaccine Innovation & Global Immunization)
Location: Office in Washington, DC; Option to Work Remotely in US Only
Our mission is to make vaccines more accessible, enable innovation and expand immunization across the globe. We seek a future free from vaccine-preventable diseases. We are an innovative, collaborative and engaged team that values accountability, teamwork, partnership and driving impact. We are vaccine champions improving lives through immunization. Sabin staff, management and Board of Trustees are committed to developing a diverse, equitable and inclusive team.
We are looking for a detail-oriented and collaborative individual to join Sabin’s Influenza Vaccine Innovation (IVI) program that is focused on accelerating the development of next-generation, universal influenza vaccines.
Working across a variety of sectors and disciplines, we are currently engaged in a range of activities examining the global response to COVID-19 to inform and inspire the pursuit of universal vaccine protection against influenza. We are assessing changing practices and policies—across the science and technology landscape, vaccine development and regulatory science, public-private partnerships, and pandemic preparedness to determine what beneficial changes might be sustained.
The Communications Associate will carry out a variety of programmatic and administrative duties. Fifty percent (50%) of the Associate’s time will support IVI content development and promotion, ten percent (10%) will support PriorityVax digital resources, while the remaining forty percent (40%) will be dedicated to general IVI and PriorityVax program and administrative support.
Communications - Content Development & Promotion
- Assist in content coordination and maintenance of the Influenzer Initiative website, working with external web service vendors
- Assist in developing, designing, and promoting written and video content for Influenzer website and social media channels, inclusive of toolkits for external key opinion leaders (KOLs), calendar scheduling and basic graphics in Canva or Photoshop
- Support coordination and performance analysis of paid social media campaigns with team and external vendors
- Support regular surveillance and cataloging of news cycle, research findings and social media on science, policy and funding issues related to influenza vaccine innovation; anchor Influenzer Initiative activities to external opportunities in a timely manner
- Provide key updates to the PriorityVax resource page and assist with related platform pilot activities and analyses
- Track and archive records of engagement with key stakeholders
- Develop, organize and maintain an editorial calendar
Program Support - Research & Content Development
- Track resource flows associated with influenza vaccine research and development
- Participate in relevant scientific webinars and lectures and provide notes and verbal briefings
- Support development of background documents and dossiers for KOL interview targets
- Assist with stakeholder survey design, development and analyses
- Assist with the development of episodes for the documentary video series
- Conduct background research and provide program assistance as needed
- Support the development of bi-monthly reports to funders and quarterly reports to Board of Trustees elevating team accomplishments
- Work with team members to support remote and in-person events
- Schedule meetings with internal and external collaborators; assist with the preparation of meeting materials
- Assist with the maintenance of workplan, grant management and reporting tools
- Provide copyediting, formatting and document management assistance
- Assist with completion of administrative forms, including expense reports, check requests, teleconference reconciliations and credit card reconciliations
- Coordinate travel through Sabin’s preferred travel partner as well as other vendors as necessary
- Perform operational tasks necessary to keep projects running smoothly; assist in ensuring compliance with Sabin, funding agency and partner expectations
- Build collaborative relationships with Sabin colleagues and partners to stay informed of latest organizational and field developments
- Provide support to Vice President, Vaccine Innovation & Global Immunization as needed
- Other administrative duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and relevant coursework
- 2+ years of relevant experience, preferably in public health, health science, life sciences or related field
- Experience using communications platforms such as Twitter, LinkedIn, WordPress for a professional institution, science or health-focused institution required
- Social media marketing experience a plus
- Demonstrated success drafting, proofreading and editing technical, evidence-based documents
- Experience with survey design and qualitative analysis preferred, experience using Dedoose a plus
- Demonstrated proficiency in core Microsoft 365 applications, Zoom video conferencing and conducting internet searches; experience with Salesforce and Engaging Networks a plus
- Experience with Canva or Photoshop preferred
- Strong attention to detail, highly organized, dependable, flexible and able to prioritize to meet deadlines
- Excellent communications skills (listening, writing, speaking)
- Ability to work across the organization, building collaborative relationships with colleagues
Attributes that Are Important to Sabin:
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Problem-Solving and Critical Thinking
- Communication and Professionalism
- Initiative and Ownership
- Productivity and Quality Control
- Professional Development/Personal Learning
- Subject to a criminal background investigation
- Request for three professional references
- Verification of education/degrees
How to Apply:
To be considered, please submit your cover letter and resume via e-mail to [email protected]. Please be sure to reference “Communications Associate, Vaccine Innovation & Global Immunization” in the subject line. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Your cover letter should: (1) address the reasons for your interest in this position; and, (2) describe the knowledge, skills and abilities you would bring the Sabin Vaccine Institute. No phone calls, please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Sabin Vaccine Institute has a generous benefits package (see https://www.sabin.org/careers/employee-benefits).
Sabin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or genetic information, sex (including gender identity, pregnancy or sexual orientation), marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.