Reports to: Vice President, Vaccine Acceptance and Demand
Location: Washington, DC
Our mission is to make vaccines more accessible, enable innovation and expand immunization across the globe. We seek a future free from vaccine-preventable diseases. We are an innovative, collaborative and engaged team that values accountability, teamwork, partnership and driving impact. We are vaccine champions improving lives through immunization.
The Director of Immunization Advocates will work with the Vice President of Vaccine Acceptance and Demand to devise, lead and implement all aspects of Sabin’s newly initiated Immunization Advocates program to support evidence-based decision-making and generate demand for immunization. Immunization Advocates is focused on communicating the science of vaccines and the evidence that supports immunization programs and policies, including dispelling vaccine misinformation. The program achieves these ends through training of media and health care professionals with in-person meetings and online resources. The incumbent will have seasoned experience in health communications (preferably public health with knowledge of immunization programs), partner relations, educational program development and project management experience.
Leadership, Collaboration and Partner Management
- Initiate and grow partnerships with regional and in-country partners and the global health community, including WHO, UNICEF, Gavi; maintain and grow partnerships with journalism organizations, including the Thomson Reuters Foundation
- Manage engagement with the Immunization Advocates Advisory Committee
- Develop and implement project monitoring & evaluation metrics and tools, leveraging Advisory Committee input and expertise
- Collect, compile and analyze program activity data; write comprehensive program reports for funders and other key stakeholders
- Represent Sabin and promote its mission at events and meetings
Program and Operations Management
- In coordination with the Vice President of Vaccine Acceptance and Demand, manage Sabin’s Immunization Advocates program, ensuring that program deliverables are on time and within budget
- Develop program agendas, write speaker guidelines, recruit and prep speakers, write and produce meeting materials, design, deploy and analyze surveys
- Oversee attendee recruitment, screen applicants, write and send all attendee communications and lead follow up
- In collaboration with partners, and relevant consultants, lead the development of online and in-person communications training materials tailored (separately) to media and health care professionals
- Manage Immunization Advocates website, developing new resources, recruiting and adding advocates, and working to develop an active user base and extend its reach
- Manage contracts, grants and budgets in close coordination with the Accounting Team; assist with proposal writing to develop additional funding
- Integrate programming across Vaccine Acceptance and Demand work streams, and with broader Sabin programs, including Boost
- Advise and assist the Communications Team in developing and communicating in various media such as print and video
- Advise on and assist in developing advocacy and technical materials, handouts and brochures
- Supervise, mentor, coach and train team members, as assigned
- Other related duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; advanced degree preferred
- 12+ years relevant experience, preferably in communications, including media relations, for health – global health, public health or other related field
- Experience leading workshops/programs, including developing agendas/training materials, topic development and speaker recruitment
- Exceptional project management and program development skills
- Proven experience in partnership development and networking
- Strategic development and execution experience
- Excellent verbal and written communicator with ability to tailor approach toward the perspective of others; public speaking experience required
- Proven ability to interact effectively with individuals at all levels, including Boards of Trustees, coalition partners, staff and organizational contacts; excellent at working closely with others over geographical distance and from other cultures
- Budget oversight and decision making experience; ability to identify risks and skilled at contingency planning
- Proven ability to manage, mentor and coach people; able to build relationships and understand what motivates others
- Demonstrated ability to operate with purpose, urgency and accuracy in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment
- Strong attention to detail, ability to manage complex tasks, highly organized, flexible, dependable and able to prioritize competing demands in order to meet deadlines
- Must demonstrate interest in furthering Sabin’s mission
- Ability to travel with notice
How to Apply:
To be considered, please submit your cover letter and resume via e-mail to [email protected]. Please be sure to reference “Director, Immunization Advocates” in the subject line. Your cover letter should: (1) address the reasons for your interest in this position; and, (2) describe the knowledge, skills and abilities you would bring the Sabin Vaccine Institute. No phone calls, please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for writing samples.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Sabin Vaccine Institute has a generous benefits package (see https://www.sabin.org/careers/employee-benefits).
Sabin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or genetic information, sex (including gender identity, pregnancy or sexual orientation), marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.