Reports to: Vice President, Vaccine Acceptance & Demand
Location: Washington, DC
Our mission is to make vaccines more accessible, enable innovation and expand immunization across the globe. We seek a future free from vaccine-preventable diseases. We are an innovative, collaborative and engaged team that values accountability, teamwork, partnership and driving impact. We are vaccine champions improving lives through immunization. Sabin staff, management and Board of Trustees are committed to developing a diverse, equitable and inclusive team.
The Director of Research, in collaboration with members of the Vaccine Acceptance & Demand Team, will design, plan and implement all aspects of Sabin’s program on research related to vaccine acceptance and demand, applying their expertise in immunization and/or social and behavioral research to identify solutions that address the drivers of vaccine acceptance. The ideal candidate will have significant experience engaging with global health and global immunization programs, conducting social and/or behavioral research, working with researchers and institutions in low- and middle-income countries, and building and managing complex partner relations with relevant stakeholder communities. The Director of Research will be a diplomatic and flexible leader who provides innovation and vision along with an ability to quickly move ideas forward to action.
- Lead all research programming within the Vaccine Acceptance & Demand initiative to produce meaningful outcomes and new knowledge about vaccine acceptance, including developing and leading implementation of strategy to align current and new research programs/investments and ensuring that program deliverables are on time and in budget
- Work with VP to build Sabin’s thought leadership on vaccine acceptance, including analyzing results/outputs/learning from Sabin’s research investments to author publication manuscripts, policy briefs, and other pieces in collaboration with team members and research grant partners
- Oversee Sabin’s Social and Behavioral Research Grants program, ensuring successful delivery of up to 10 awards annually, effective and regular engagement with grant partners, identification and documentation of cross-grant lessons and learning to inform Sabin programming and investments, and dissemination of knowledge via appropriate channels and outlets
- Design, develop and oversee additional investments in research to complement the Research Grants program, including identifying research needs and opportunities, developing competitive funding mechanism and/or identifying potential grant partners to address those needs, and providing technical expertise and oversight to partners during the design and implementation of research
- In close partnership with the Senior Manager, oversee Sabin’s role in convening the Vaccination Acceptance Research Network (VARN); working with Senior Manager to refine the network model and diversify its membership and convene network participants through annual meetings and working groups
- Work closely with Senior Communications Manager and Senior Manager to develop program content, including advocacy and technical materials that describe the program and knowledge generated through Sabin’s partnerships and investments
- In partnership with VP, drive strategy for program growth and sustainability and identify and pursue opportunities
Internal and External Partnership Management
- Collaborate effectively with other members of the Vaccine Acceptance & Demand Team and colleagues within Sabin’s Global Immunization program, including overseeing work completed by those outside of reporting line and identifying opportunities for joint programming with other teams and projects at Sabin
- Serve as technical advisor on vaccine acceptance and demand issues to other programs and projects at Sabin, including the Boost Community
- Develop and manage partner relations with stakeholders across different disciplines, including social and behavioral research (particularly from low- and middle-income countries), immunization programs, broader global health community, multilateral bodies and global policymakers, and other global health partners and donors
- Manage relationships with grant recipients and sub-award partner organizations
- Represent Sabin and promote its mission by delivering presentations and attending global health and immunization-themed events and meetings
- Supervise, mentor, coach and train one or two staff members
- Contribute knowledge and inputs to support management of contracts, grants, sub-grants and budgets in close coordination with the Accounting Team, Senior Project Manager and VP
- Identify and oversee work of consultants and contractors as needed
- Work with Resource Development Team on proposal writing to develop additional funding as needed and contribute to regular donor reporting
- Utilize Sabin’s systems and processes to establish and maintain accurate and timely project records
- Other related duties, as assigned
- Master’s degree in a related field
- 12+ years relevant experience in global health, public health or other related field, preferably with some history of working with global immunization programming
- Experience working with researchers and/or colleagues in low- and middle-income countries required
- Expertise in social and/or behavioral research, ideally with an application to international development, public health or health-related field
- Experience translating research results to diverse audiences in various formats
- Ability to interact effectively with stakeholders at all levels and with diverse backgrounds, including partner/peer organizations, bilateral and multilateral donors and normative bodies, government officials, Boards of Trustees and executive leadership, staff and other organizational contacts
- Proven experience developing and managing partnerships with diverse stakeholders from varying sectors, including those which offer new or different expertise
- Excellent verbal and written communicator with ability to tailor approach toward the perspective of others; public speaking experience required
- Expertise in managing, mentoring and coaching mid- and entry-level staff; able to build relationships and understand what motivates others; experience working with matrixed staff desired
- Strong project and budget management skills and proven experience with research grants; grants management experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to operate with purpose, urgency and accuracy in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment, including meeting grant deliverables on time and in budget
- Strong attention to detail, ability to manage complex tasks, highly organized, flexible, dependable and able to prioritize competing demands in order to meet deadlines
- Must demonstrate interest in furthering Sabin’s mission
- Ability to travel with notice, in line with COVID-19 protocols
How to Apply:
To be considered, please submit your cover letter and resume via e-mail to [email protected]. Please be sure to reference “Director of Research, Vaccine Acceptance & Demand” in the subject line. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Your cover letter should: (1) address the reasons for your interest in this position; and, (2) describe the knowledge, skills and abilities you would bring the Sabin Vaccine Institute. No phone calls, please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Sabin Vaccine Institute has a generous benefits package (see https://www.sabin.org/careers/employee-benefits).
Sabin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or genetic information, sex (including gender identity, pregnancy or sexual orientation), marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.