Reports to: Vice President, Communications
Location: Washington, DC
Our mission is to make vaccines more accessible, enable innovation and expand immunization across the globe. We seek a future free from vaccine-preventable diseases. We are an innovative, collaborative and engaged team that values accountability, teamwork, partnership and driving impact. We are vaccine champions improving lives through immunization.
The Communications Manager will work with cross-functional teams to design, implement and track all communications related to Sabin’s newly launched Vaccine Acceptance and Demand initiative. The initiative consists of three interrelated work streams: Immunization Advocates, Vaccine Acceptance and Social Media. Immunization Advocates is focused on communicating the importance of immunization and dispelling vaccine misinformation by supporting media and health care professionals. Sabin’s Vaccine Acceptance programming applies interdisciplinary problem-solving to address challenges to vaccine acceptance, including the Small Grants Program and the Vaccination Acceptance Research Network. Social Media will focus on the intersection of immunization programs and social media research.
Editorial and Project Management
- Provide writing, editing and copyediting services to support Vaccine Acceptance and Demand programs and promote project milestones
- Write press releases, op-eds, blogs, backgrounders, brochures, invitations and official statements
- Distill and document best practices
- Develop and manage editorial calendar for Vaccine Acceptance and Demand programs, tracking out a year ahead for events and milestones, including publications, video production and events
- Ensure communications are delivered on time in accordance with timelines and within budget
- Monitor spending against the budget
Digital and Media
- Generate and deploy regular content for Sabin websites, including immunizationadvocates.org and vaccineacceptance.org, and social channels
- Monitor metrics for digital campaigns, social accounts and websites; regularly provide recommended adjustments to drive traffic, improve content and increase engagement based on analytics
- Generate coverage for programs via op-eds, through earned media and on social media
- Support Immunization Advocates monitoring & evaluation, including tracking media coverage
Events and Conferences
- Design and produce communications required for initiative events, including promotion and post-event reports; approximately 4-10 annual events, varying in size (10-80 participants)
- Design and oversee video recording at events and execute post-production editing through final deployment and amplification of videos
Other related duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as public relations, journalism, communications, English or public health; Master’s degree in a related field preferred
- 7+ years relevant experience leading communications initiatives, preferably in globe health and/or human health
- Proven ability to develop and implement effective and measurable communications strategies
- Exceptional writing with an ability to translate complex or scientific topics into compelling messaging targeting a variety of audiences
- Experience executing integrated online campaigns, including email, website, blogs and social media
- Up-to-date knowledge and applied work experience in digital communications, including social media channels and analytics
- Experience with HTML, digital asset creation and archiving
- Superb project management skills with the ability to anticipate problems and quickly identify solutions
- Ability to work effectively in a matrix organization, including managing “up” and peers to drive to project timelines
- Extensive experience working with cross-functional teams; superior service orientation
- Capability to advance multiple communications priorities and work independently under tight deadlines
- Capacity for financial/budget support and people management
- Attention to detail and commitment to delivering high-quality work products
- Ability to be flexible, creative, enthusiastic and optimistic
How to Apply:
To be considered, please submit your cover letter and resume via e-mail to [email protected]. Please be sure to reference “Manager, Communications” in the subject line. Your cover letter should: (1) address the reasons for your interest in this position; and, (2) describe the knowledge, skills and abilities you would bring the Sabin Vaccine Institute. No phone calls, please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for writing samples.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Sabin Vaccine Institute has a generous benefits package (see https://www.sabin.org/careers/employee-benefits).
Sabin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or genetic information, sex (including gender identity, pregnancy or sexual orientation), marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.