Reports to: Vice President, Non-Clinical Development
Location: Washington, DC
Our mission is to make vaccines more accessible, enable innovation and expand immunization across the globe. We seek a future free from vaccine-preventable diseases. We are an innovative, collaborative and engaged team that values accountability, teamwork, partnership and driving impact. We are vaccine champions improving lives through immunization. Sabin staff, management and Board of Trustees are committed to developing a diverse, equitable and inclusive team.
The Sabin Vaccine Institute (Sabin) is seeking a Non-Clinical Research Scientist to join its Vaccine Research & Development (R&D) Team. The Research Scientist will work closely with the Vice President (VP) of Non-Clinical Development and the Senior Director of R&D on technical issues related to Sabin’s R&D program. Initially, Sabin’s R&D projects are focused on prophylactic candidate vaccines to protect against Ebola Sudan and Marburg virus funded by the U.S. Government. Sabin is proactively working to grow its project pipeline as we execute our long-term strategy and develop new project opportunities.
- In close collaboration with VP of Non-Clinical Development and Senior Director of R&D, provide technical guidance and supervision to Sabin’s CRO scientists on immune assay qualification and validation, pre-clinical vaccine immunogenicity and efficacy animal studies
- Provide technical reviews of study protocols, data, reports, etc. for Sabin’s R&D program
- Keep abreast of research/technological developments by participating in meetings/seminars and through regular scientific review
- Participate in scientific discussions with colleagues through informal and formal seminars and meetings
- Present experimental results at internal and external meetings
- Work collaboratively across the organization, building strong relationships to support pre-clinical vaccine programs
- Proactively identify issues in product development and assist in providing concrete, plausible solutions
- Contribute to reporting deliverables to funding agencies/funders, as needed
- Assist with the development of grant proposals, as requested
- Other related duties, as assigned
- PhD degree in immunology, microbiology or virology with at least 3 years vaccine pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry experience or a relevant Master’s degree with at least 7 years of pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry experience
- Proven experience with both small animal and non-human primate infection disease model development, pre-clinical immunogenicity and toxicology studies for evaluating vaccine candidates
- Proven experience with the design, execution and/or direct development, qualification/validation of immune assays for testing of vaccine immunogenicity; primary methodologies including ELISA, Neutralization, ELISpot and Flow cytometric assays
- Familiarity with ICH guidelines and GLP and GCLP compliance
- Proven ability to draft technical documents, including method SOPs, study protocols and reports
- Experience with data statistical analysis and familiarity with data analysis software such as GraphPad Prism, SAS
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and relevant scientific software
- Excellent communication and diplomacy skills (active listening, writing, speaking)
- Strong attention to detail, ability to manage complex tasks, ability to analyze and solve problems
- Highly organized, flexible, dependable and able to prioritize competing demands in order to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work across the organization, building strong relationships with colleagues over geographical distance
- Listens carefully to feedback and comments from staff and adapts plans/actions accordingly
- Ability to work independently, proactively and meet daily deadlines
How to Apply:
To be considered, please submit your cover letter and resume via e-mail to [email protected]. Please be sure to reference “Non-Clinical Research Scientist, R&D” in the subject line. Your cover letter should: (1) address the reasons for your interest in this position; and, (2) describe the knowledge, skills and abilities you would bring the Sabin Vaccine Institute. No phone calls, please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Sabin Vaccine Institute has a generous benefits package (see https://www.sabin.org/careers/employee-benefits).
Sabin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or genetic information, sex (including gender identity, pregnancy or sexual orientation), marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.