Reports to: Vice President, Non-Clinical Development
Location: Washington, DC
Our mission is to make vaccines more accessible, enable innovation and expand immunization across the globe. We seek a future free from vaccine-preventable diseases. We are an innovative, collaborative and engaged team that values accountability, teamwork, partnership and driving impact. We are vaccine champions improving lives through immunization. Sabin staff, management and Board of Trustees are committed to developing a diverse, equitable and inclusive team.
The Sabin Vaccine Institute (Sabin) is seeking a Pre-Clinical Principal Research Scientist to join its Vaccine Research & Development (R&D) Team. They will work closely with the Vice President (VP) of Non-Clinical Development, providing technical supervision to Sabin’s pre-clinical CROs to support Sabin R&D pre-clinical studies. Initially, Sabin’s R&D projects are focused on prophylactic candidate vaccines to protect against Ebola Sudan and Marburg virus funded by the U.S. Government. Sabin is proactively working to grow its project pipeline as we execute our long-term strategy and develop new project opportunities.
- Under the leadership of the VP of Non-Clinical Development, and in close collaboration with other team members, provide technical guidance and supervision to Sabin’s CRO scientists on pre-clinical vaccine immunogenicity and efficacy animal studies
- Provide technical summaries, reviews, comments and presentations of animal study protocols, data, reports, SOPs from CRO, etc.
- Participate in internal and external scientific meetings, present experimental results, join discussions with colleagues, keep abreast of research/technological developments and provide team updates
- Review and write study reports, as well as monthly and annual reports to funding agencies/funders
- Work collaboratively across the organization, building strong relationships to support pre-clinical vaccine programs
- Proactively identify issues in product development and assist in providing concrete, plausible solutions
- Assist with the development of grant proposals, providing study background materials and writing scientific section, as requested
- Other related duties, as assigned
- Master’s degree in immunology, microbiology, virology or related field with a minimum of 9 years relevant professional experience or PhD with a minimum of 5 years post-graduate experience with vaccine pre-clinicals, in pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry or research institute
- Proven experience working with CRO and subcontractor
- Familiarity with ICH guidelines and GLP compliance
- Proven experience with infection disease, non-human primate animal model development, pre-clinical immunogenicity, efficacy and toxicology studies for evaluating vaccine candidates
- Experience with BSL- 4 maximum containment laboratories, understanding of immunological correlates of protection, and knowledge of product development under the animal rule regulatory pathway is desirable
- Experience with IND application, able to assist with application package preparation in pre-clinical related sections
- Demonstrated ability to draft technical documents, including method SOPs, study protocols and reports
- Expert on basic data statistical analysis and familiarity with vaccine immunogenicity data
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and relevant statistical analysis software such as GraphPad and JMP
- Excellent communication and diplomacy skills (active listening, writing, speaking)
- Strong attention to detail, ability to manage complex tasks, ability to analyze and solve problems
- Highly organized, flexible, works independently, dependable and able to prioritize competing demands in order to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work across the organization, building strong relationships with colleagues over geographical distance
How to Apply:
To be considered, please submit your cover letter and resume via e-mail to [email protected]. Please be sure to reference “Principal Research Scientist, R&D” in the subject line. Your cover letter should: (1) address the reasons for your interest in this position; and (2) describe the knowledge, skills and abilities you would bring the Sabin Vaccine Institute. No phone calls, please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Sabin Vaccine Institute has a generous benefits package (see https://www.sabin.org/careers/employee-benefits).
Sabin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or genetic information, sex (including gender identity, pregnancy or sexual orientation), marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.