Reports to: Vice President, Resource Development & Policy
Location: Washington, DC
Our mission is to make vaccines more accessible, enable innovation and expand immunization across the globe. We seek a future free from vaccine-preventable diseases. We are an innovative, collaborative and engaged team that values accountability, teamwork, partnership and driving impact. We are vaccine champions improving lives through immunization.
The primary responsibility of this position is technical writing to support Sabin’s fundraising efforts. As a member of the Resource Development team, the Technical Writer will work with Sabin Global Immunization and Research & Development program teams to organize/lead funding applications and funder reports. The Technical Writer will help cultivate Sabin’s donor relationships, author supporting fundraising materials and research prospective funders. The Technical Writer will also provide occasional assistance to the Communications team on technical matters and will proactively support the Vice President of Resource Development & Policy. The incumbent will have an advanced degree in a relevant scientific field and strong project management skills.
- Manage the full life cycle of technical writing and editing for funding submissions and progress reports for diverse funding opportunities (e,g,. NIH, BARDA, other USG agencies, philanthropy and private sector), including development of project strategy with program/admin teams, timeline management, drafting content and coordination of inputs from key staff
- Ensure that work products conform to the formatting and internal/external policy/regulatory requirements, are free of errors, and scientific ideas are presented clearly, accurately and persuasively
- Analyze and interpret research results and scientific literature in connection with writing or editing high-quality narratives
- Lead project management for funding submissions; develop detailed project timelines according to team-specified deadlines and coordinate submission planning and execution
- Draft fundraising materials, including letters of inquiry, funding proposals, donor-targeted content, reporting and executive briefs
- Assist and support the Vice President of Resource Development & Policy in accomplishing departmental objectives to ensure the successful delivery of projects on time and in budget
- Provide targeted and strategic fundraising support for the development of new projects
- Conduct detailed research and analysis to plan and lead complex fundraising strategies
- Manage the full cycle of event sponsorship requests
- Work collaboratively across the organization, in particular with program and Communications teams, building strong relationships with colleagues to stay informed of latest organizational and field developments and advance internal priorities
- Represent the Sabin Vaccine Institute and promote its mission at events and meetings
- Other related duties, as assigned
- Master’s degree in a related field, including life sciences, science policy or public health/global health
- 7+ years relevant experience, with prior experience in technical writing in a scientific field, preferably in infectious diseases, global health, public health, international development or other related field
- Grant writing experience; familiarity with USG applications a plus
- Proven experience in communicating scientific research and tailoring technical information for scientific and lay audiences
- Exceptional project management skills with proven ability to manage workloads and multiple priorities efficiently and with minimal supervision
- Superb verbal and written communications skills
- Database management experience preferred (e.g., Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge)
- Strong strategic/critical thinking and goal orientation
- Superior service orientation
- Demonstrated ability to operate with purpose, urgency and accuracy in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and deadline-driven environment
- Readiness to interact with a variety of people and assume diverse duties and tasks
- Ability to build relationships and understand what motivates others
- Capacity for financial/budget support and people management
How to Apply:
To be considered, please submit your cover letter and resume via e-mail to [email protected]. Please be sure to reference “Technical Writer, Resource Development” in the subject line. Your cover letter should: (1) address the reasons for your interest in this position; and, (2) describe the knowledge, skills and abilities you would bring the Sabin Vaccine Institute. No phone calls, please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Salary and title commensurate with qualifications and experience. Sabin Vaccine Institute has a generous benefits package (see https://www.sabin.org/careers/employee-benefits).
Sabin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or genetic information, sex (including gender identity, pregnancy or sexual orientation), marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.